Strong execution drives record revenue in mobile, automotive, and industrial markets
BOISE, Idaho, Dec. 18, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Micron Technology, Inc., (NASDAQ: MU) today announced results for its first quarter of fiscal 2019, which ended Nov. 29, 2018.
Fiscal Q1 2019 Highlights
- Revenue of $7.91 billion, up 16 percent compared with the same period last year
- GAAP net income of $3.29 billion, or $2.81 per diluted share
- Non-GAAP net income of $3.51 billion, or $2.97 per diluted share
- Operating cash flow of $4.81 billion compared with $3.64 billion for the same period last year
- Share repurchases of $1.80 billion under the authorized buyback program
“Micron reported strong profitability in the fiscal first quarter, highlighted by double-digit year-over-year revenue growth across our major markets and solid business execution,” Micron Technology President and CEO Sanjay Mehrotra said. “Despite weak near-term industry supply-demand dynamics entering calendar 2019, Micron is well-positioned to deliver healthy profitability throughout the year. We remain bullish on the long-term secular growth trends driving the memory and storage industry.”
|Quarterly Financial Results|
|(in millions, except per share amounts)||GAAP (1)||Non-GAAP (2)|
|percent of revenue||58.3%||61.0%||55.1%||59.0%||61.4%||55.4%|
|percent of revenue||47.5%||51.9%||45.5%||49.1%||52.6%||46.4%|
|Net income attributable to Micron||$||3,293||$||4,325||$||2,678||$||3,508||$||4,313||$||2,994|
|Diluted earnings per share||$||2.81||$||3.56||$||2.19||$||2.97||$||3.53||$||2.45|
Investments in capital expenditures, net of amounts funded by partners, were $2.48 billion for the first quarter of 2019, which resulted in adjusted free cash flows(3) of $2.33 billion. Micron repurchased an aggregate of 42 million shares of its common stock for $1.80 billion during the quarter in connection with its $10 billion share repurchase authorization. The company ended the first quarter in a record net cash position of $3.07 billion with cash, marketable investments, and restricted cash of $7.21 billion.
Micron will host a conference call on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018 at 2:30 p.m. MT to discuss financial results and provide forward-looking guidance for fiscal second quarter. The call, audio, and slides will be available online at investors.micron.com. A webcast replay will be available on our website until Dec. 18, 2019. A taped audio replay of the conference call will also be available at 1-404-537-3406 or 1-855-859-2056 (conference number: 3349486) beginning at 5:30 p.m. MT, Dec. 18, 2018 and continuing through Dec. 25, 2018. For Investor Relations and other company updates, follow @MicronTech on Twitter at twitter.com/MicronTech.
About Micron Technology, Inc.
We are an industry leader in innovative memory and storage solutions. Through our global brands – Micron®, Crucial® and Ballistix® – our broad portfolio of high-performance memory and storage technologies, including DRAM, NAND, NOR Flash and 3D XPoint™ memory, is transforming how the world uses information to enrich life. Backed by 40 years of technology leadership, our memory and storage solutions enable disruptive trends, including artificial intelligence, machine learning, and autonomous vehicles, in key market segments like cloud, data center, networking, mobile and automotive. Our common stock is traded on the NASDAQ under the MU symbol. To learn more about Micron Technology, Inc., visit micron.com.
The Micron logo and Micron symbol are trademarks of Micron Technology, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains forward-looking statements regarding the industry and our strategic position and financial results. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially. Please refer to the documents we file with the Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically our most recent Form 10-K. These documents contain and identify important factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those contained in these forward-looking statements. These certain factors can be found at www.micron.com/certainfactors. Although we believe that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot guarantee future results, levels of activity, performance, or achievements. We are under no duty to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this release to conform these statements to actual results.
(1) GAAP represents U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
(2) Non-GAAP represents GAAP excluding the impact of certain activities which our management excludes in analyzing our operating results and understanding trends in our earnings. Non-GAAP also includes the impact on shares used in per share calculations of our outstanding capped call transactions and from the exclusion of stock-based compensation. For a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results, see the accompanying financial tables and footnotes.
(3) Adjusted free cash flow consists of cash provided by operating activities of $4.81 billion for the first quarter of 2019 less investments in capital expenditures, net of amounts funded by partners.
MICRON TECHNOLOGY, INC.
CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL SUMMARY
(in millions except per share amounts)
|1st Qtr.||4th Qtr.||1st Qtr.|
|Cost of goods sold||3,298||3,289||3,056|
|Selling, general, and administrative||209||215||191|
|Research and development||611||567||448|
|Other operating (income) expense, net||36||(8||)||11|
|Interest income (expense), net||5||(16||)||(101||)|
|Other non-operating income (expense), net (2)||9||(15||)||(204||)|
|Income tax provision (3)||(477||)||(20||)||(114||)|
|Net income attributable to noncontrolling interests||(3||)||(1||)||—|
|Net income attributable to Micron||$||3,293||$||4,325||$||2,678|
|Earnings per share|
|Number of shares used in per share calculations|
CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL SUMMARY, Continued
|As of||November 29,
|Cash and short-term investments||$||5,563||$||6,802|
|Total current assets (1)||15,039||16,039|
|Long-term marketable investments||1,565||473|
|Property, plant, and equipment, net||24,807||23,672|
|Total assets (1)||44,595||43,376|
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||4,200||4,374|
|Current debt (2)||398||859|
|Total current liabilities||5,189||5,754|
|Total Micron shareholders' equity (1)||33,869||32,294|
|Noncontrolling interests in subsidiaries||870||870|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$||4,810||$||3,636|
|Net cash provided by (used for) investing activities||(4,427||)||(1,434||)|
|Net cash provided by (used for) financing activities||(2,435||)||(1,282||)|
|Depreciation and amortization||1,353||1,119|
|Investments in capital expenditures||(2,720||)||(2,089||)|
|Repayments of debt (2)||(577||)||(2,744||)|
|Cash paid to acquire treasury stock (4)||(1,836||)||(23||)|
|Proceeds from issuance of stock||15||1,472|
|Proceeds from issuance of debt||—||150|
- In the first quarter of 2019, we adopted ASU 2014-09 – Revenue from Contracts with Customers (as amended, "ASC 606"), which supersedes nearly all existing revenue recognition guidance under generally accepted accounting principles in the United States. The core principal of ASC 606 is that an entity should recognize revenue when it transfers promised goods or services to customers in an amount that reflects the consideration to which the entity expects to be entitled in exchange for those goods or services. In adoption, we applied the modified retrospective method and, in connection therewith, made certain adjustments to our opening balances as of August 31, 2018. Adjustments to opening balances included an increase to receivables of $114 million, reduction of deferred tax assets of $92 million, increase of other current assets of $30 million, and an increase to retained earnings of $50 million.
- In the first quarter of 2019, we settled conversions of debt with an aggregate principal amount of $38 million for cash of $164 million and recognized non-operating losses of $13 million.
- On December 22, 2017, the United States enacted comprehensive tax legislation commonly referred to as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the "Tax Act") which imposed a one-time transition tax in 2018 (the "Repatriation Tax") and created a new minimum tax on certain foreign earnings. Our accounting for the effects of the Tax Act was completed during the first quarter of 2019.
Our income tax provision consisted of the following:
|Quarter ended||November 29,
|Income tax provision, excluding items below||$||(378||)||$||(113||)||$||(88||)|
|Utilization of and other changes in net deferred tax assets of MMJ, MMT, and MTTW||(52||)||10||(26||)|
|Repatriation Tax, net of adjustments related to uncertain tax positions||(47||)||83||—|
- In the first quarter of 2019, we repurchased 42 million shares of our common stock for $1.80 billion through a combination of repurchases pursuant to an accelerated share repurchase agreement, Rule 10b5-1 plan, and through open market repurchases. The shares were recorded as treasury stock.
MICRON TECHNOLOGY, INC.
RECONCILIATION OF GAAP TO NON-GAAP RESULTS
(in millions, except per share amounts)
|1st Qtr.||4th Qtr.||1st Qtr.|
|November 29, 2018||August 30, 2018||November 30, 2017|
|Cost of goods sold||3,298||(55||)||3,243||3,289||(28||)||3,261||3,056||(22||)||3,034|
|percent of revenue||58.3%||59.0%||61.0%||61.4%||55.1%||55.4%|
|Selling, general, and administrative||209||(21||)||188||215||(13||)||202||191||(18||)||173|
|Research and development||611||(22||)||589||567||(14||)||553||448||(14||)||434|
|Other operating (income) expense, net||36||(30||)||6||(8||)||(7||)||(15||)||11||(6||)||5|
|percent of revenue||47.5%||49.1%||51.9%||52.6%||45.5%||46.4%|
|Interest income (expense), net||5||18||23||(16||)||23||7||(101||)||29||(72||)|
|Other non-operating income (expense), net||9||(8||)||1||(15||)||14||(1||)||(204||)||204||—|
|Income tax provision||(477||)||77||(400||)||(20||)||(111||)||(131||)||(114||)||23||(91||)|
|Net income attributable to noncontrolling interests||(3||)||—||(3||)||(1||)||—||(1||)||—||—||—|
|Net income attributable to Micron||$||3,293||$||215||$||3,508||$||4,325||$||(12||)||$||4,313||$||2,678||$||316||$||2,994|
|Shares used in calculations||1,174||5||1,179||1,216||4||1,220||1,225||(5||)||1,220|
|Diluted earnings per share||$||2.81||$||0.16||$||2.97||$||3.56||$||(0.03||)||$||3.53||$||2.19||$||0.26||$||2.45|
MICRON TECHNOLOGY, INC.
|1st Qtr.||4th Qtr.||1st Qtr.|
|Cost of goods sold|
|Employee severance, start-up costs, and other||29||7||2|
|Selling, general, and administrative|
|Employee severance and other||2||—||—|
|Research and development|
|Employee severance and other||6||1||1|
|Other operating (income) expense, net|
|Restructure and asset impairments||30||7||6|
|Interest income (expense), net|
|Amortization of debt discount and other costs||18||23||29|
|Other non-operating income (expense)|
|(Gain) loss on debt repurchases and conversions||(14||)||(1||)||195|
|(Gain) loss from changes in currency exchange rates||5||15||9|
|Impact of U.S. income tax reform||47||(83||)||—|
|Estimated tax effects of above, including tax benefits from stock-based compensation, and non-cash changes in net deferred income taxes||30||(28||)||23|
The tables above reconcile GAAP to non-GAAP results, diluted shares, and diluted earnings per share. The non-GAAP adjustments above may or may not be infrequent or nonrecurring in nature but are a result of periodic or non-core operating activities. We believe this non-GAAP information is helpful to understanding trends and in analyzing our operating results and earnings. We are providing this information to investors to assist in performing analysis of our operating results. When evaluating performance and making decisions on how to allocate our resources, management uses this non-GAAP information and believes investors should have access to similar data when making their investment decisions. We believe these non-GAAP financial measures increase transparency by providing investors with useful supplemental information about the financial performance of our business, enabling enhanced comparison of our operating results between periods and with peer companies. The presentation of these adjusted amounts varies from numbers presented in accordance with U.S. GAAP and therefore may not be comparable to amounts reported by other companies.
Our management excludes the following items in analyzing our operating results and understanding trends in our earnings:
- Stock-based compensation;
- Flow-through of business acquisition-related inventory adjustments;
- Acquisition-related costs;
- Employee severance, start-up costs, and other;
- Restructure and asset impairments;
- Amortization of debt discount and other costs, including the accretion of non-cash interest expense associated with our convertible debt and MMJ creditor debt;
- Gains and losses from debt repurchases and conversions;
- Gains and losses from changes in currency exchange rates;
- Gains and losses loss from business acquisition activities;
- Impact of the U.S. income tax reform for the Repatriation Tax, release of U.S. valuation allowance, and remeasurement of net deferred taxes reflecting the lower U.S. corporate tax rates; and
- The estimated tax effects of above, including tax benefits from stock-based compensation, and non-cash changes in net deferred taxes.
Our outstanding capped call transactions are anti-dilutive in GAAP earnings per share but are expected to mitigate the dilutive effect of our convertible notes. In periods with non-GAAP income attributable to Micron, non-GAAP diluted shares include the impact of the capped calls, based on the average share price for the period the capped calls are outstanding. Non-GAAP diluted shares are also adjusted for the impact of additional shares resulting from the exclusion of stock-based compensation from non-GAAP income.
Contacts: Farhan Ahmad Investor Relations firstname.lastname@example.org (408) 834-1927 Erica Rodriguez Pompen Media Relations email@example.com (408) 834-1873